Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Peas, Mushrooms and Endive

It feels good to be able to write in this blog.  Last night I made the Thanksgiving turkey with simple sides. Nothing special with the turkey. I cleaned it, rubbed it with butter, stuffed it with some celery stalks, carrots, onions and parsley.  Put it in the oven, breast side down and then flipped it breast side up for the rest of the time.  Came out perfectly. 


The first time I made a turkey was for my Grandmother Plumb.  She came to dinner and I wanted to impress her, so turkey it was!  I made it upside down because I could not tell top from bottom.  It came out great and my grandmother loved it.  Who knew that now it is a method of cooking turkey to keep the juices in.

For the sides we had baked sweet potatoes, fruit, and peas with mushrooms and Belgian endive. 
The recipe for the peas is from Jacques Pepin's cookbook, More Fast Food My Way.  The title is also the title of his PBS program.  He calls it a stew but I call it yummy!

Peas, Mushrooms and Endive ( My adapted recipe)

1 tablespoon of canola
1 small can of mushrooms (out of fresh)
3 small or 1 large Belgian endive ( cut crosswise into
1 inch slices)
1 12oz bag of frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons of butter

Heat the oil in a large skillet.  When hot, add the mushrooms and endive.  Cover and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the moisture is gone and it begins to sizzle.  Add peas,salt and pepper.  Uncover and continue to cook until the peas are hot and tender.  Add the butter and cook for another minute while stirring the mixture.  Enjoy!

 
 
 
This is one of my favorite cookbooks.  The recipes are quick and delicious.  If I could only have a shelf of cookbooks, this would  definitely be on it. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment